Here’s an exercise that will help to deal with some of the negativity from your past:
1) Choose an event in your life where you experienced some failure. Notice the emotion that you felt. E.g. Fear or anger. For this exercise choose an event where the emotion is of low or medium intensity. Not something that has a lot of “Charge” behind it.
2) Remember the first frame of the movie (picture) of that memory and hold it in your mind.
3) Now step out of that picture so that you can see yourself in the picture. (Like you are an actor in your own movie.) You can also imagine some circus or other light hearted music playing in the background.
4) Change the colour of the picture to black and white and shrink the picture smaller. (Like watching a black and white movie on one of those old portable TV’s.)
5) Watch yourself acting in the movie in black and white until the end of the memory/event.
6) You should be feeling less emotional about that event than before you started. (You can do this a few times for the same event and the emotion will become even less.)
NLP Coach Wayne Farrel says we need to let go of those limiting beliefs, limiting decisions and clear up our past so we can move towards a compelling future. The unconscious mind does many things for us to help in our daily lives, like run your body, stores and organises your memories, is the domain of our emotions, represses memories with unresolved negative emotions and sometimes represents these to you for resolution.
The thing is that when we understand and work with our unconscious mind, then we can achieve much greater results, much easier. By releasing negative emotions, limiting beliefs and limiting decisions from the past, you become more in control of your emotions in the future as well as letting go of the life draining negativity of the past.